Vehicle Use


Please wait while the data is retrieved...


Oklahoma statutes prohibit the use of state-owned vehicles for private purposes. University policy states that unauthorized passengers shall not be transported in state vehicles or private vehicles used for state business. Only authorized university employees are allowed to drive state-owned vehicles. According to Oklahoma statute, the use of state-owned vehicles to ride to and from an employee's place of residence, except in the performance of official duty, is expressly prohibited. In compliance with Oklahoma statute, smoking is prohibited in university owned vehicles. Persons using university vehicles are expected to use seat belts and to comply with all Oklahoma Department of Highway Safety regulations. Employees driving university vehicles must obey all laws of the State of Oklahoma. (For instructions specific to the Enid or Woodward Campus, contact the Business Office or Deans Office there.)

9.4.1 Fuel Purchases

Each university vehicle must be returned to the Maintenance garage or Fleet building with the gas tank full. University vehicle drivers should utilize the University's fuel card COMDATA. This is a Master Card and can be used anywhere Master Card is accepted. Each university vehicles key ring is attached to a current fuel purchase credit card. Any other credit cards in the school vehicle are for secondary, emergency use only.

9.4.2 Alva Campus Check-out and Check-in Procedures

When leaving before or after office hours, a Maintenance Shed key must be obtained from the Business Office in Herod Hall during office hours. Maintenance Office staff are not responsible for giving employees access to the Maintenance garage to pick up their scheduled vehicles when the proper procedures for obtaining a key from the Business Office have not been followed. Drivers are advised to allow themselves adequate time in case they need to move vehicles blocking access to their designated vehicle.

For All Vehicles

During Office Hours:

When picking up a University Vehicle you must come into the Maintenance Office to be dispatched.  You will then be given the vehicles keys, a clipboard with fuel cards and a dispatch form to be filled out upon the vehicles return. When returning a university vehicle, bring the keys, fuel cards, filled out dispatch form and fuel receipt into the Maintenance office so the vehicle can be check back in.

After Office Hours:

The University Vehicle will already be dispatched to you.  The keys along with the dispatch form will be placed outside the maintenance office door.  If you are returning after hours please hang the keys on the peg board by the Maintenance office door and place the clipboard with the dispatch form, fuel cards and your fuel receipt in the hanging wooden rack on the wall beneath the peg board.

When returning a university car after hours, employees should use the garage key on the key ring to gain access to the Maintenance garage, drive the vehicle into the garage, and park in the numbered parking space that corresponds with the University Vehicle number.

When returning a university van after hours, employees should park the van in the adjacent parking lot and use the maintenance shed key to gain access to the Maintenance garage and hang the keys on the peg board by the Maintenance office door and place the clipboard with the dispatch form, fuel cards and your fuel receipt in the wooden rack hanging on the wall beneath the peg board.

If there should ever be an instance when a university vehicle cannot be parked inside the Maintenance garage, it should be parked in the Maintenance lot with the keys removed and the vehicle locked. The keys should be taken into the Maintenance garage and placed on the peg board located on the west wall by the office door. This will enable the person scheduled to take the same vehicle early the next morning to have access to that particular vehicles keys. Do not take the keys with you when you leave. The dispatch form should be completed and placed along with the fuel purchase slips in the wooden rack located on the west wall of the Maintenance garage underneath the peg board.

If a university vehicle has a mechanical problem and is returned after hours, the university employee returning the vehicle should place a warning sign on the vehicles windshield so that the safety of the next passenger is not at risk. The sign reads, DO NOT TAKE THIS VEHICLE DUE TO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS, and is kept in a black folder attached to the bulletin board on the west wall of the Maintenance garage. Leave a message on the Maintenance departments voice mail at 327-8646, describing the nature of the problem. When scheduled to drive the car with a problem, take your own vehicle and apply for mileage reimbursement on an Application for Travel Reimbursement. (See Section 9.1 Procedure). Do not take another university vehicle since it may be scheduled for use by another employee.

Enid Campus Check-out  Procedure:


When it is time for you to leave, please stop by the Business Office to pick up the key and the dispatch form which will now be the report form to turn in with the key (replacing the Vehicle Use Reports).  If you are leaving early in the morning, the Business Office will print the dispatch report and either put it in your box with the key, or put it on the clipboard in the car.  Note: the alarm to the building is turned off at 6:00 am, but you will need to use your key in the door by the alarm.  Doors generally are opened at 7:00 am. 

Enid Campus Check-in Procedure:


When returning a university vehicle to the Enid campus after hours, employees should use their code to enter the building and put the key, the dispatch form and fuel receipts in one of the envelopes in the box on the wall of the mail room and drop in the wall slot.  If you do not have a code, or for some reason do not want to enter the building at night, just put the key under the edge of the drivers seat and lock it in the vehicle.  Please call 213-3128 and leave a message that you locked them in the vehicle.   Please DO NOT take the keys with you when you leave.  Please report any necessary minor repairs, special concerns, or cleaning needs on this report.  The Business Office personnel will make sure it is checked out before the car goes out again.


Accident Process:




These guidelines provide general information and instructions in the event a state employee driving a state
vehicle is involved in a vehicle accident.



Turn off the engine; or,

If the engine cannot be turned off:

Set the gear to neutral;

Pull emergency brake;

If the vehicle is positioned downhill, turn the steering wheel clockwise to turn vehicle wheels toward
the curb or roads shoulder; if uphill, turn the steering wheel counterclockwise.

If the vehicle location and / or condition creates a risk to your personal safety, move away from the
vehicle. If driver is unable to exit the vehicle, try to unlock the door. If life is in immediate danger due to
the vehicle condition (e.g. leaking fuel and fire.), knock out the nearest window and exit the vehicle.

Unless there is an electrical or fuel problem with the vehicle, turn on the emergency lights.

Call 911 then call NWOSU Mechanic.


Call 911.

Do not move injured individuals unless absolutely necessary.

Do not tell the injured party that the State will accept responsibility for medical expenses.


Prevent vehicle from creating a road hazard. Pull the car as far off the road as possible, i.e. nearby
parking lot or a road shoulder.

Otherwise follow steps listed under 2.

If the vehicle location and / or condition does not create a risk to your personal safety, remain inside or
nearby until wrecker and / or emergency response units arrive.

Call NWOSU Mechanic (if vehicle is not drivable):


Do not make any statements to the other driver or third party concerning the assumption of liability DO

Only give information required by authorities.

Do not sign any statement about the accident unless it is from an authorized representative of the Risk
Management Division or your agencys authorized legal counsel.

Risk Management Contact Card

Retrieve Risk Management Contact Card (either from the vehicle glove compartment or wallet).

Fill out the back of the Card and give the Card to the third party involved in the accident to file a
claim with the State.


Contact NWOSU Risk Management Coordinator (Markangela Kinnett) immediately from the accident scene to report your whereabouts.

Record events immediately at the accident scene:

Retrieve from the glove compartment and fill out the Accident Information Form, DCS-FORM-RM-

Do not give this form to anyone at the accident scene.

Upon return to office on the same day or the following business day provide the completed form to:

NWOSU Risk Coordinator, Markangela Kinnett (original)

A Standard Liability Accident Report and a Scope of Employement form will need to be filled out with NWOSU Risk Coordinator the same day or the following business day of accident.


If an accident renders a vehicle inoperable:

The driver is responsible for own transportation accommodations on the date of the accident.

An agency may choose to provide an alternative transportation on the date of the accident.

Defensive Driving:

Make good defensive driving a habit. It saves lives!

Sign up for Defensive Driving Class with Fleet Management


IMPORTANT: Employees are advised that when driving private vehicles and involved in accidents, the State covers only the liability damage to the other vehicle, and not the physical damage (comprehensive & collision) coverage for the employees car, even if it is in use for state business.  In such cases the employee should contact their private insurance to report such damage.